Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Let's Build!

My 2 stepdaughters are growing fast and running out of room in their shared room. As of now, they have two matching twin beds, a nightstand and a tv stand. They have to live out of thier suitcases while they are here because hubby has taken over their closet. Our master closet is just not big enough for mine and his stuff :).  They have only the nightstand with 2 drawers to use for storage. So all their junk goes under the bed or in those two drawers. Needless to say, their room is a disaster when they are here for lack of storage. I saw some awesome bunkbeds on my local Craigslist, but they are out of our price range right now and I have been trying my darndest to sell the ones they have, but no bites just yet. I'm positive the lady will sell her bunks before mine will sell. So, I have given up on those and I have decided to build my own!! Big surprise there, right? I have been doing research online and there are several websites that offer plans for FREE! Yes, free. But, none of them are perfect.

 Let me explain.

I had bunk beds as a child. They were the big ugly metal ones that was a futon on bottom and twin on top. I pinched myself often on the ladder and the futon. Now, I hope I haven't offended anyone with my statement. But, for some reason, I find anything that was in my house as a child repulsive, such as that bed, baby blue and pink paint and wallpaper(I could also go on forever about my hatred of oak cabinets). Metal bunk beds are just not my thing.

I found plenty of bunks that I LOVE, but they are $1000+. Yeah-freaking-right. I have stayed up at night debating on whether I really want bunks in my house, but it will free up so much space in their room and be better in general. When I started googling, I knew exactly what I was looking for and found this


and this




The first bed is my favorite and is what we will be aiming for. It looks so cottagey and I LOVE it! I have forced the hubby to agree and I think we will be starting next weekend! What makes it even better is that one of my junking, thift storing, yard sale-ing friends has an armiore she is passing along to me that will look great in their room. Not to mention, I came across a very retro desk that is still in decent shape that will be marvelous! I'm so excited to get started on their room and see the looks on their faces the next time they come to visit and they have a new room! I will post pics soon and list the instructions and materials when I finish in case anyone else is as brave as me!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks so much for linking up! Kim at www.733blog.blogspot.com {I think} has some great tips for beginner bloggers. Welcome! {it's a bit addicting!}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first bed too. Welcome to blogland. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking this up to WHASSUP WEDNESDAY!


    Hope to see you next Wednesday:)

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...