Monday, July 18, 2011

Living Room Updated...for now

I showed y'all the living room right after we painted, here.

For a few days it looked like this.


and this...


Then it looked like this!



I finally got the mirror hung that I got on sale at Hancock Fabrics as mentioned here.


In the same post mentioned above, I told y'all I wanted to find some lamps to go on either side of the television. I sort of knew what I wanted, but couldn't find any I liked for a cheap reasonable price. I saw ones at Big Lots that I LOVED,but for $49.99 they could keep them! I mean, isn't Big Lots a discount store?? Maybe I'm wrong.

Once I saw them, I decided that I wanted clear glass lamps with drum shades. I thought, surely I could find some somewhere for around $30 a pop.



Wrong.

I started at a Memphis Target and worked my way around town. I stopped by TJMaxx, Marshalls, Gordmans, JCPenneys, Kirklands, Pier 1, and finally the Target in my own town.

I called Kevin when I left Penney's and told him he was probably in luck and I wasn't going to spend any money because I couldn't find any lamps I liked for a good price.

My last stop was our Horn Lake Target. It was getting late and I wasn't expecting much after the day I had.

But as luck would have it, there were FOUR lamps almost exactly what I wanted on CLEARANCE for $19.99 a piece!!

SHUT UP!

I quickly snatched two of them up! They also had drum shades on clearance for $9.99 a piece. They weren't really what I was looking for for the matching lamps,but I knew what I wanted to do with it!

 Here is the link for the lamps, they are not on clearance on the website yet! And the link for the shades, which are also not marked down yet. So I really scored!

You know that lamp that I switched the shade on last week?



I knew I would have a use for those two matching shades! I switched the lamp's shade out again for this one with the navy trim(which I may or may not cover with a different color ribbon, depending on the curtain choice).



Here is a shot of the lamps in place on either side of the TV.



Doesn't it look so much better??

I couldn't agree more! :) 

I'm so happy with the outcome. Although, I am seriously contemplating either gold leafing the mirror or spray painting it with a bright shiny gold color! There is a lot of silver going on with the lamps and mirror.

The room looks so much more put together. I have been struggling with the layout of this room, but I think I finally like the look, for now....


We plan to change out all the door hardware to match and it will probably be a brushed nickel. But since we plan on selling in the next year, we don't want to spend money on stuff that may not be worth the effort, so we are still deciding on that. We also plan to find something to place next to the dresser in leiu of the jutting-out-in-the-way footstool to cover the cable wire that shows.

Soon, we will be building wood cornices for the matching windows and I will try to decide on curtain options, which is a whole other post!

What do you think of the makeover so far?? Should I change the color of the mirror or keep it?

3 comments:

  1. Love those lamps, what a great find! And I'm also in LOVE with your CL dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always the smallest updates that make the biggest difference! And that dresser is killer! Come over and see a rustic room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty wallcolor and I really like that shade with the navy trim.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...